Elvet Methodist Church supports a different project each year, alternating between local projects, and overseas projects.
In 2012 - 2013 we supported Durham Youth for Christ - Mentoring Scheme.
Projects supported in other years are:
- 2017 - 2018 Project: Mi Arca Project, Guatemala
- 2016 - 2017 Project: St Cuthbert’s Hospice, Retail Van
- 2015 - 2016 Project: the Grace Haven Orphanage, Myanmar (formerly known as Burma)
- 2014 - 2015 Project: Key Project, South Tyneside
- 2013 - 2014 Project: Kwagala Trust
- 2012 - 2013 Project: Durham Youth for Christ - Mentoring Scheme
- 2011 - 2012 Project: New Hope in Cambodia2011 - 2012 Project: New Hope in Cambodia
- 2010 - 2011 Project: Justice First
- 2009 - 2010 Project: The Kwagala Trust
- 2008 - 2009 Project: Beverley School
- 2007 - 2008 Project: Global Care
Durham Youth for Christ - Mentoring Scheme
Based in Gilesgate; the scheme works with young people at risk of engaging in crime.
It offers "at risk" young people the opportunity to meet with a supportive volunteer mentor each week. Mentors listen to their concerns and offer them support.
For these young people, who often live complex and chaotic lives, the presence of a consistent, positive adult can have a great effect and can enable young people to believe in themselves and their potential to achieve.
The mentoring scheme is designed to raise the aspirations of young people, challenge their behaviour and raise their self-esteem.
Volunteers act as positive role models and provide young people with relevant alternatives to offending behaviour. They are looking to increase their funding to enable them to work with more young people. They would also like to increase partnerships with local churches.
The mentoring scheme addresses four of the biggest factors leading to offending behaviour in young people:
- Underachievement in education
- Low self-esteem
- Lack of a significant role model
- Non-constructive use of time
Durham Youth for Christ work closely with related organisations by putting young people in touch with support agencies.
You can still support this project by volunteering as a mentor.